1. What CE’s are accepted by ABCAC?
    • ​​ABCAC will accept all CE’s that are accepted by the Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners.
  2. Do I have reciprocity with my certification?
    • ​​The ABCAC credentials: CADAC, AADC, CCS, CCJP, CPRS and CPS all have reciprocity with all other participating IC&RC member boards. If you have one of these credentials and would like to transfer your credential to another state or country, please send an email to [email protected] to start the reciprocity process.
  3. How do I transfer my credential to Arizona?​
    • ​​If you have a credential with another IC&RC state or country member board and would like to transfer your credential to Arizona, you will need to contact your current board to start the transferring process. If your credential is not with an IC&RC state or country then you will need to apply for either Arizona licensure or certification.
  4. What is the difference between licensure and certification?
    • ​​A license is a state’s grant of legal authority to practice a profession within a designated scope of practice.  It is required in order to practice or to call oneself a licensed professional.
    • A certification is typically a voluntary process, although certification can be mandatory or required to practice in certain states. Certification is often provided by a private organization for the purpose of providing the public protection on those individuals who have successfully met all requirements for the credential and demonstrated their ability to perform their profession competently.
    • Multiple insurance companies in Arizona are now requiring state certification or licensure in substance abuse counseling in addition to licensure as a mental health counselor, psychologist, social worker, etc. to be listed as a substance abuse provider within their networks.  Being certified as an advanced alcohol and drug counselor through ABCAC meets this requirement.​